Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Reflections on songs

Creativity is a mystery; anyone who has ever sat down to write, paint, draw, play music or actively attempt to "create" something knows that when that creative juice begins to flow, it is a miraculous event! I

There is a definitely a "zone", a place that humans find themselves in, which facilitates the ability to be creative, to create something. How we reach that zone is the mystery. But I do know one thing, if we do not allow children the time to explore their own creativity, we are robbing them, and essentially all of us, of tremendous possibilities. For it is within the realm of this mystery that the essence of our "being-ness" can evolve.

When we engage in what we are naturally suited to do, our work takes on the quality of play and it is play that stimulates creativity.” – Linda Naiman

As a songwriter, I know well that place of ecstatic joy when the words and music flow together, when the harmonies lift the soul in celebration and one soars into a place that is vibrant and blissfully alive. I also know the frustration of a song that just cannot find its cadence, its rhythm and rhyme! But I have learned that when this happens, I must surrender to the possibilities and allow them to gently, or abruptly, tweak my inner compass......and if I am really lucky, the piece of the puzzle that has eluded me, will miraculously fall into place.....and if not....to just let it go.




No comments:

Post a Comment